First of all, I'd like to stress that we are still planning on Chad excelling in BASEBALL and someday being in the starting lineup for the Red Sox, who, incidentally, are in first place in their division. But since daycare isn't offering a baseball camp, soccer lessons are the best we can do right now.
Yup... soccer lessons for a two-year old. I don't know how this is going to go either.
For the ridiculous price of $75, Chad can participate in 6 weekly soccer training sessions at daycare. BUT, that $75 fee includes a "free" uniform and size 3 soccer ball, plus stickers for attendance and a graduation certificate. Their coaches (also known as the "academy staff") all go to yearly training in England. (You didn't know that you had to be trained overseas if you want to teach toddlers how to kick a soccer ball, did you?) As a two-year-old, Chad would be in the "Cub" program. The Cub curriculum includes ball control, dribbling, turning, and passing, all of which will be taught using games and music, and is developed by "education professionals" and child psychologists. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
I was skeptical that this would be worth it, but today was a free practice session for the whole school to see which kids would be interested in it. So I double laced Chad's Nike Air sneakers extra tight and sent him off to impress everyone with his kicking skills.
At pick-up time I asked Miss Ashley how Chad did when his class tried soccer. This was the report I got:
1. It started off a little rough for everyone, because the 2s discovered some anthills outside, and everyone wanted to watch the ants instead of play soccer.
2. After the novelty of the ants wore off, they got the soccer balls out, and the most of the kids either ignored them, or grabbed a ball and ran off to kick it themselves.
3. But Chad was a little different (of course!!! <3) in that when he got a ball he immediately looked for someone to play with. Miss Ashley said that Chad really likes group activities, and prefers when everyone does something together.
I suppose I could freak out about this, and get scared that Chad is co-dependent and will never develop into a unique individual, but I'm choosing to think that he is a highly socialized team player, who can appreciate order over chaos. And Miss Ashley said she thinks Chad would do well with the soccer program.
Who knows, she could be BS-ing me, but I fell for it, and enrolled Chad in soccer.
Besides, isn't one of the perks of being an only child that your parents will spend money on frivolous things like a musical soccer program run by coaches trained in Britain? Anyway, I know when Chad is playing for the Red Sox, he will pay me back the $75.
So... in two weeks Chad starts soccer. We were told to send him in with shin guards (do they even make them small enough for two-year-olds??) and an inflated soccer ball. I think for $75 they could inflate the ball for me, but I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the coach. (Sorry, the academy staff.)
No comments:
Post a Comment