The Pumpkin and The Valen-twins

The Pumpkin and The Valen-twins

Friday, November 16, 2012

The 2s

This is sort of a sad post. :(
The week after Chad's birthday, he began "transitioning" to the two-year-old classroom.  And the following week he started in there full-time.  I'm sure the 2s room is a great place to be, but it's just not the same as Miss Simone's classroom. (As he was carried past her class, Chad called out, "Smone! Smone!"  Miss Nicky told us that Chad has been doing much better than the last two students to move up, and that he participates in everything, including singing "Skidamarink a Dink a Dink" during circle time.  But I'm still skeptical.  For one thing, he used to get marked as "Talkative" every day with Miss Simone, but now he keeps getting marked as "Quiet." I don't know if he's feeling shy, or he's just quieter than his other classmates. (We really need an internal control, or a standard or something to be able to figure this out.)  Also, the curriculum seems like a big jump.  One day the topic was, "What do we use our mouths for?" and I'm just going on blind faith that they kept this lesson plan G-rated.  (Another lesson was, "How do we clean our classroom?" and we have zero doubts that Chad was at the head of the class that day.) 
The 2s work on potty training, and we were encouraged to continue with their schedule by taking him to visit Freddy Frog at 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 3:00 and 5:00 on the weekends.  I'm not going to kill myself with this activity until I hear word that he has shown any interest in it at school.  Toddler 411 tells me that if you schedule your kids' potty breaks than YOU aer potty trained, but THEY are not.  And Toddler 411 has never led us astray like some other books (I'm looking at you, Harvey Karp), so we're going to have to let Chad take the lead on this one.
The 2s also have a lot more rules than Miss Simone ever did.  Let's just say that in my opinion Chad should be able to use crayons at EITHER table in the classroom, and not be restricted to using them at the table on the right.  And bringing the crayons to the table on the left showed initiative, which should be praised, ESPECIALLY since he then shared the crayons by passing them to his new friends.

One thing hasn't changed though: Chad has proven he can get Ouch Reports no matter where he is, and the lack of skin on his nose due to a trip on the playground is proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment