The Pumpkin and The Valen-twins

The Pumpkin and The Valen-twins

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Two Months Old!

Can you believe another month has passed??? The twins celebrated last night by sleeping sooooo long that I actually went in there to see if they had escaped through their window using a rope ladder fashioned from swaddle blankets. (They hadn't. They were just sleeping soundly and didn't wake up for food until 4:30!) Let's all hope for many repeat performances!




They've mostly spent the last month eating, pooping and being cute. 
 Example A of cuteness


Example B of cuteness

And here's a not-so-cute pic:

Theo has probably doubled his weight in the last week. He gobbles down bottles of formula and is already stretching out his size 3 month onesies. Natalie is staying smaller than him, but she knows how to stand her ground.


Pow!

They're in different size diapers now, which makes middle of the night diaper changes slightly less mindless, because we have to be cognizant of which stack of diapers we reach for. 

I had to look up how to spell "cognizant."

We cheered for Duke in March Madness, but they disappointed us:

Andy and I bet a full night's sleep on our brackets. The loser will have to take on all feedings for an entire night. Thanks to the combined suckiness of Duke, Kansas and Wichita State, my bracket is toast and I've already lost. Sad face.


Pow! again

And we cheered for the Red Sox, especially our favorite rookie, Xander Bogaerts:

We learned the hard way that our insurance company can't grasp the concept of twins. They saw two babies with the small last name having all their hospital bills and pediatrician appointments on the same days, and must have decided the bills were sent twice by accident. They covered everything for Theo, 100%, but we got large bills for Natalie. 

My first public outing by myself with both babies was to get an ultrasound on Natalie's hips:
I took this in the waiting room for Pediatric Radiology. It was the prettiest waiting area ever, with huge colored circle mobiles hanging from the ceiling and bright elevators with all the gears exposed so you could watch how they work and a giant fish tank with Flounder and Nemo on top of it. So many fun distractions to look at, but I hope we're never there again.

It seems three main risk factors for hip dysplasia are 1) being female (check!) 2) being a multiple (check!) and 3) being breech (check!) and that trifecta earned Natalie an all-expenses paid trip to Duke Children's Hospital. She was not happy about this, and gave us a giant diaper mess to contend with in the middle of the exam. I didn't get to bring home souvenir pictures of her insides, but trust me, she has very cute femurs. And they are perfectly formed- no hip dysplasia here.

Here's a celebratory Dancing Natalie GIF:
Her hips don't lie. Someday she'll be able to get low to the flo' on the dance floor.

We wore blue plaid to brunch:
I got this picture taken right before Miss Pees-Her-Pants required a change of clothes.

We became consignors and sold some things at the Moms of Multiples Sale! Almost all of my summer maternity clothes from the Chad era were purchased, and we also got rid of things that either won't work with two babies (e.g., Chad's original convertible carseat) or we just don't want anymore (e.g., Tommee Tippee bottles that Andy can't stand. He actually threw one once after a feeding because he hates them so much.) I made a whole bunch of cash by selling (less than a week's daycare tuition, more than a week's worth of groceries) and only spent half of what I made when I bought new things at the pre-sale :). 

Things like tutus for Natalie:

And a new bike for Chad:

Look at him go!

I know this has been sort of a baby-centric blog lately, but don't worry, we haven't forgotten about Chad. He's still here, growing so fast, and going down the big slide, Superman style!!!



Last month, his class focused on solids, liquids and bubbles. This month they're doing dirt and stones and ground-type things. The other day his daily sheet said that they went outside to dig for worms.  His teacher told us that he is the most dependable helper when it's time to clean their classroom at the end of the day. Of course he is... cleaning is his favorite game to play!

The other night I asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and he answered "Really tall, so I can help reach things for you like Daddy does." So I tried asking, "What do you want to do when you grow up?" and he said, "Ummm, use the lawn mower and the weed whacker and the leaf blower. And Daddy needs to teach me how to drive."

He also called my attention to the TV when a Giada De Laurentiis  commercial came on, to tell me that she was "really pretty."





My first week alone with the babies has not been too horrible. Two sleeping babies is no more work than one sleeping baby, but when they both want to be fed at the same time, things get scary. Natalie drinks less and is more efficient about it, but unfortunately for her, Theo's screams can make you want to stab yourself in the ears, and he has taken to scratching the heck out of his perfect little face if he has to wait too long to be fed. So poor Natalie usually has to wait her turn while he lazily finishes his huge portions.
Today has also been a struggle because they have been jack hammering our curbs for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT. Not conducive to napping. They used their awake time to help me put the laundry away though. (I have never done so much laundry in my life...)





We've been going on daily walks with the giant stroller (we keep it in my trunk, and I bet the neighbors all laugh at me when they see me trying to get it out and set up). Today we're going into daycare to work on some extra forms they need. (But I'm waiting until the noise outside abates a little.) And tomorrow is their two-month well visit with their first round of vaccinations!!
Yay for vaccines!!
(If you haven't seen this video yet, you need to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment