How did we get here? I'm glad you asked.
Earlier this week Natalie had a cold, which usually means Theo is next. And while Natalie is good at getting over colds sans antibiotics, Theo has a tendency to develop ear infections. Last night he just looked miserable with his yucky cold, and was wiping snot all over his face, and was too hoarse to cry, so my Ear Infection radar was on high alert. But no fever and he was acting OK and when I asked "Do your ears hurt?" he didn't answer, because at 11.9 months old he does not have those communication skills yet. He threw up from coughing, but really, that's kind of the status quo for him. It's called post-tussive emesis, and he's gifted like that. (Chad too. You're jealous, I know.) When I debated staying home with him today I really couldn't think of a good reason to, other than, "He looks like he wants his Mommy." Plus I didn't really want another trip to Urgent Care and be the mom to insist the doctor looks into her baby's ears, because we've done that an awful lot lately, and they're getting to the point where they're like, "Just buy yourself an otoscope, crazy lady." Also, they don't give punch cards for "Get 9 ear infection diagnoses and we'll waive the co-pay for the tenth."
Off he went to school, but I left a note for his teacher that basically said, "If Theo even sneezes funny I want to be called."
By 11:00, I got the phone call that he was fussy and pulling at his left ear and I nearly knocked people over running out the door to rescue him.
Off to Urgent Care we went, so I could say, "Take my money and look in my baby's ears!" and sure enough, we were looking at a double ear infection plus possible strep throat. I have to say, Theo totally impressed me with his behavior in the doctor's office, and I know you're not supposed to compare kids, but Chad and Natalie could both really learn a thing or two about not kicking the nurses who take their vitals.
Of course, by then it was almost 1, and Theo had napped for all of 15 minutes so far and was looking exhausted, so we came home to let him nap before we hit up CVS to get the antibiotics. I was rocking him in their room, and had a glorious epiphany that as soon as he was asleep I could sneak back in and put away all of their laundry! I know... it doesn't sound too exciting but their laundry takes for-freaking-ever, because their room is so
OK, so Theo got super drowsy and I tucked him away in his crib and came downstairs to make lunch. Three bites in I heard a lot of coughing, which is a bad sign for Theo, because, like I said, post-tussive emesis. I ran upstairs and sure enough, vomit everywhere, all over Theo, all over the crib and <cue horror movie-style Eeee-eee-eee noises> sprayed straight out of the crib onto the pile of freshly cleaned laundry. :( But Theo was just like, "Eh?" because when you're as good a puker as he is, it doesn't even faze you. It's just like, "I guess I'm going into the bathtub now, huh? Bummer because I kind of wanted to nap."
Soooo.... bath time for Theo but then his crib and all his blankets were soaked, and his seahorse was dripping in puke and all of his clean clothes in the laundry basket were really not clean anymore.
Which is why he got thrown into the pair of Natalie's jammies that were spared and put in her crib with her pink seahorse and pink blankets. (I gave him one of his own pacifiers back.)
And that, in a nutshell, was our day, and he's been asleep for over two hours now and we haven't gotten back out to get the meds, and the laundry is now in the dryer for the second time and I'm feeling very un-accomplished for the day, BUT I made a grocery list for their birthday goodies and I found a bag of old mini M&Ms in the cupboard that I took care of, which made everything seem better.
Kitty supervision
"You weren't going to eat those, were you?"
I swear, I do feed them things other than Cheerios. It's just that they usually aren't camera ready when they're given anything messier.
No comments:
Post a Comment